Memory is an important aspect of learning. Is it possible to improve it? Students can make use of different memory techniques to enhance and improve their memory, so that they are able to do well in exams.
Although anyone can memorize anything recollecting the data in a correct manner poses a challenge for many. The human brain has an amazing ability to memorize things and by using the right techniques, students may be able to improve to enhance the learning process significantly.
Top 6 simple and effective memory techniques for students
1. Organize and make it meaningful – List the lessons and study material in an alphabetical or chronological order so that it becomes easy to remember. Students can choose to arrange the textbook material from general to specific or simple to complex. The logical arrangement of study material makes it easy to recall and remember. After you have organized the study material, look for connections in it, to make it meaningful. This can stimulate the process of remembering. Pay attention to what you are reading so that you can encode the information in your brain.
2. Learn in an active manner – One of the most effective memory techniques that students can use to learn their study material is to participate actively in the process. Most students remember what they do, see and hear. When students start combining what they do, see and hear in an active manner they may be able to substantially improve their memory. When you involve as many senses as possible in the learning process, it can help imprint the data in your memory.
3.Create pictures – Students can choose to create pictures to connect facts. Abstract concepts can be easily remembered when a picture or diagram is associated with them. You can choose to be as creative as you want so that you are able to recall facts easily. Associate new things or concepts with cartoons or pictures you are familiar with so that it becomes easy to remember.
4. Distribute the learning process (Recite, repeat and write it down) – Instead of marathon reading sessions, students can distribute the learning process. Prepare a schedule and take regular breaks after each study session to relax and recollect. Students should learn to recite, repeat and write down all they learn, as it can help improve their memory. They may be able to recall even tough lessons when they have recited and repeated the same thing in a continuous manner.
5. Positive attitude – Avoid negative thoughts about a subject as this increase the chances of failure. Replace all negative thoughts with positive thoughts so that you are able to remember everything easily. Review what you have learnt the same day in a positive frame of mind so that it becomes easy to understand and recall.
6. Relax and reduce distractions – Students should learn to relax and reduce distractions so that they are able to able to recall facts with more clarity. When you are relaxed, you may be able to improve your concentration and this can make you feel more confident. Find a study place that is free of distractions so that you may study undisturbed.
When students combine these memory techniques, they may be able to remember all their study materials easily and this can help them improve their grades easily.