The biggest challenge for many incoming freshmen is figuring out what to pack. You will need things for your dorm room, clothing to wear, supplies to take notes and study, and items to help you stay clean. With such a long list, it can be incredibly easy to forget something important. To help you stay on track, consider using this list of 25 things to bring to college as a checklist of sorts.
Because you will be living at school, you will need to have clothing for all types of weather that your university goes through. Don’t forget to account for spring heat and humidity and winter cold and snow. Here are a few of the essential items to pack:
Although you may not want to think about it, the reason you are heading off to college is to learn. To make the most of your classes, you will want to have a few basic school supplies. A laptop is almost a necessity in today’s universities, so you should bring one if you can afford it. You also want to stay organized with a planner and have some other basic tools.
- Laptop or desktop, like HP Stream 13.3 Inch Laptop (Intel Celebron, 2 GB, 32 GB SSD, Horizon Blue) Includes Office 365 Personal for One Year – Free Upgrade to Windows 10
- Student Printer and paper. If you have a mac laptop then make sure to get the mac compatible printer.
- External hard drive, USB memory stick, or other portable storage, such as Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 16GB USB 2.0 (DTSE9H/16GBZET)
- Folders and binders
- Writing implements, such as Paper Mate InkJoy Ballpoint Pen 1781564, Assorted Colors, 8-Pack
- Backpack, like DAOTS Vintage Canvas Laptop Backpack Rucksack for College School Travel Daypack (1-Year Warranty)
- Planner, such as Student Planner 2015 – 2016 School Year Planner High School/College Content 5.5 x 8.5”
- Calculator, especially if you plan on taking a math class
Unless you are very lucky, you won’t have a shower in your room so you will need something to bring your shower supplies with you to the bathroom. There are also some other essentials to keep yourself and your room clean.
- Towels and washcloths, like AmazonBasics Fade-Resistant Cotton 6-Piece Towel Set, Navy Blue
- Shower shoes, such as Under Armour Locker II SI Sandals Mens
- Shower caddy, like InterDesign Una Mesh Storage Carry All, Black
- Soap, shampoo, and conditioner
- Shaving supplies and beard trimmers.
- Laundry bag and detergent, like Whitmor 6154-111 Mesh Laundry Bag, White
- Dishwashing soap and sponges
- First-aid kit, such as AAA 85 Piece Commuter First Aid Kit
Food And Utensils
Although you will mostly be eating in the cafeteria, you want to be ready to make some simple meals in your dorm room and store them.
- Eating utensils, such as Ikea Kalas 901.929.62 18-Piece BPA-Free Flatware Set, Multicolored
- Plates, bowls, and cups
- Coffee mug, like Morning Coffee Mug By Marljohns
- Rice cooker, if allowed, such as Aroma 8-Cup (Cooked) Digital Rice Cooker and Food Steamer, Stainless Steel
- Coffee and tea
- Snacks, such as Healthy Snacks In-a-box (45 Count)
- Cereal, such as Kelloggs Variety Cereal, 31.37-Ounce
Other Things For Your Room
There are also plenty of other items you will need that don’t fit neatly into a category.
When using the above list of more than 25 things to bring to college, consider using the given links to help you find harder-to-find items. Remember, if you end up forgetting anything, you can easily order it online, but it helps to be prepared.
Sign up to get the latest student products deals that I share ONLY with my private subscribers.